How to use a Ballyhoop Net - Keep Your Bait in Pristine Condition

Welcome to our Coral Heads Community Forum and Chat
Coral Heads is an Island Lifestyle Company.
We are dedicated to providing educational videography of coral reefs, artificial reefs, and shipwrecks!
Wanting to explore with the rest of our members? Feel free to become a member today.
Explore as a Coral Heads Community Forum Member Now!

Coral Heads is an Island Lifestyle Company!

We share amazing video of Coral Reefs, Artificial Reefs, and Shipwrecks.

Documenting our oceans so you may live vicariously through our eyes. Plus we will soon offer private island vacations along with underwater eco-tourism packages!

MarkLaymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Apr 29, 2020
Florida
CoralHeads.com

How to use a Ballyhoop Net - Keep Your Bait in Pristine Condition​

I love learning new things! Ballyhoo are probably one of the most common saltwater baits found around the globe. They are fantastic baits for trolling, bottom fishing, live baiting and just about any type of fish you want to target offshore. Many baitfish like goggle eyes, sardines, herring, and pilchards can be difficult to catch. However, ballyhoo tend to fairly abundant year-round and unlike goggle eye, you don't have to fish in the middle of the night to catch them! In this video I was introduced to a hoop net style of fishing to catch ballyhoo for a fishing trip off Pompano Beach with my good friends Ron Mitchem and Ed Weisenberger. The hoop net is designed to be used while chumming. Once the ballyhoo are draw close enough to the boat, the hoop net can be deployed in the water where it essentially drifts back with the current and you simply pull it in when you have ballyhoo stack up in front of it while eating the chum. If there is no current, you can add a float to the hoop to keep it suspended upright. The advantage of the hoop net is that there are no hooks, no handling and the bait stays in better condition during the day for fishing. Enjoy the video and remember to tap that SUBSCRIBE button and throw up a comment to let us know what you think and what you would like to see from @fishbluewater in the future!

Fish Bluewater

www.bluewatermovements.com

Donate